Wednesday, April 9, 2014

An Old Friend Returns...

Here in the north, we all wondered if our old friend spring would ever come back. Winter this year was brutal and tenacious. But finally, finally, spring is here. It's not quite as flashy yet as spring can sometimes be, but it's here nonetheless. Somehow, I'm think the flashy part is still to come.
Spring sometimes come with a big fanfare, but not this time. The days are gently warming instead. I've heard that the slow warm up is actually better. The slow arrival means less severe weather, and it also means less chance that the trees will bloom too early and get damaged by frost.
So I'm just going to accept my old friend as is. I'm glad he's back, and I accept his reticence.
There's another good part about this cool spring. It actually gives me time to catch up all those garden chores that tend to pile up over the winter. I finally got all the  winter cleanup done, and then planted pansies in the window boxes.

I still need to plant the spring veggies, but that will happen this week. And the roses still need to be pruned, but they are really slow to get growing so I'll just let them rest for awhile longer. Hubby will mow the lawn for the first time this weekend. Then we'll truly know that spring is back.
Sometimes it can be a challenge to get through winter without being discouraged. It seemed like it would never be warm again, like I'd never see natural green again. And it certainly felt like the flowers would never bloom again. But you know what? I'm not sure I'd appreciate spring so much if I didn't have to fight so hard to see it.


Besides, if I lived in a warmer climate, I wouldn't get to enjoy all these beautiful spring bulb flowers except as a grocery store bouquet. There's just something about seeing these little bright color spots when all the rest of the world is still a little gray. It makes me appreciate them even more.

So welcome back old friend. I missed you. Come, stay awhile. And don't stay gone so long next time.

16 comments:

  1. Looks to be a beautiful Spring indeed, what lovely plants! So cheerful looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, spring is indeed the most cheerful of seasons, especially after a tough winter like we've had here. Nothing is more welcome!

      Delete
  2. Spring flowers - hooray! You're ahead of us. Daffodils and lilies have only just now begun to poke out of the ground. Not much else going on. I was walking around in my back yard today and noticed my lilac bush has green buds and - what a surprise, ha - the lemon balm in my herb garden is starting to come back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful Melanie? Even after a tough winter like that, life still returns to the garden. Hooray! Some of my herbs did not return, but most did. I haven't seen my lemon balm, now you have me thinking. I guess I'd better check.

      Delete
  3. You have so many pretties blooming already. I love the window boxes Robin. I think mine are thawed out now too. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we made it Lona, spring is really here! I do love my colorful pansy boxes. It won't be long to replace them with summer flowers, but as long as they still look good, I won't make the switch.

      Delete
  4. Robin, it's spring at your house!!! And so beautiful. Now what variety of sedum is that gorgeous orange one?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Sedum Angelina, the darling of Robin's Nest! I dearly love this plant. In winter, they are all fabulous shades of orange, gold and red. Now that spring is coming along, they are yellow, and in summer, they will be a nice bright green. I grow it mostly for it's gorgeous winter coloring. It spreads nicely, without bothering anyone. Get some, you won't be sorry!

      Delete
  5. Your sedum looks so wonderful this time of year. Mine never looks that good at the start of the season. Great combinations. Spring is so very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole reason that I grow Sedum Angelina is because of the beautiful colors it turns in cold weather. I love it so much that I put it everywhere.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos! Well, we had 3 consecutive days of frost here, and my early epimediums are shot. the leafy shoots carrying the buds are dead. i've never seen this before. the magnolia flowers will be brown as well, and many of the daffs have given up the ghost. my photos are not worth posting, but rather a sad tale. meanwhile, i'm prepping the potager and planting the lettuces and radishes! hope you are having a better spring there and did not get much snow... but my dau says they got 2-3 inches in ohio.... we only got half an inch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohio is funny, the snow can differ so greatly in a small area. We got about 1/4 inch, and even though things were droopy that day, they bounced back perfectly. A few days later, and you'd never even know. But the toll that the rough winter took is a sad tale to tell. I've had some casualties, especially in the rose garden.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, and thanks for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  8. Such lovely spring flowers. Ours are just starting. Nice to see you again Robin. I seem to lose track of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'd hate to be lost! I'm glad you found me again...Hope spring is a pretty one there on your ranch.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.