Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Proverbial May Flowers

We've had the April showers, now we have the May flowers. Well, we've actually had May showers and flowers. It's a jungle out there! All this rain has made for some lush greenery. I spent all day trying to rein in the enthusiasm of some of my beauties. But it's a good problem to have.




I tend to "brag" that my plantings have filled in so much that weeds don't have much room to sneak in. Ha! Somehow they manage to find those few little bare spots. Isn't it funny how the weeds manage to hide themselves from us till they are a foot high? How do they do that? I'm trying to take it slow, and do just a bit at a time.




The good part is that the veggie garden weeds are much easier to pull. Hubby built new raised beds in the fall, so we just filled them with fresh soil this spring, so the dirt is light and fluffy yet. Weeds can be pulled with no effort at all. It's been cool and rainy this year, so the spring vegetables have been growing like crazy. I haven't had much luck growing spinach in the past, but this year, wow! Lettuce and radishes have done well too, so there has been plenty of fresh, crunchy salad to enjoy. For some reason, my sugar snap peas did not come up this year, so I replanted. They are finally starting to peek out, but now it's getting warm enough that they may not do as well. I did put in the summer heat lovers a few days ago. Now bring on the warmth!



The spring bulbs have all faded now, and the regular perennials are starting to pop. Every time I turn around, another one is starting its show. It's wonderful to see.







There are still a few flowering trees and shrubs to enjoy. Are you familiar with the Chinese Fringe tree? I just love this one! It smells like jasmine in bloom, has nice green glossy leaves all summer, and then the leaves turn a beautiful golden color in the fall.





It's also the start of rose season here in Ohio. These Zepherine Drouhin roses are thornless, and intensely fragrant. I think this must be what heaven smells like.





We had a late frost this year, but I didn't fall for it. I stuck with mid May for my planting of warm weather annuals, There were many people out covering up their tomato plants and things like that. All I had to do was tuck a few containers into the garage.








I've had a lot of bird visitors in the yard this year. I often say that I don't feed the birds. Well, I do feed the hummingbirds. And I like to put out a finch sock full of nyjer seeds, because the goldfinches are so cheerful and bright. And now I have bluebirds hanging around my garden, so I thought I should put out mealworms for those too. I have a birdbath, of course. And there are some kind of birds in my birdhouse for the first time. Maybe I should admit that I feed the birds, huh? After all, I'm named after a bird.



What does May look like in your neighborhood? Here in Robin's Nest, it's glorious!


19 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post. Your garden is so full of beauty and color. I am especially envious of your poppies. Always a favorite, I have not been able to get them to grow here. I love the pink. Your columbines are sensational too, and your planted pots are really pretty with a such an interesting variety of plants. You have been busy and will be all summer. We have had lots of rain and it is has been very cool--cooler than I like. I am wondering when will it warm un? My old bones want warmth. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had much luck growing poppies from seed, but these were plants, and are doing so well. I love them!

      Delete
  2. Robin, you have so many blooms, it looks like summer already!
    That one columbine - fluffy purple/violet one - is SO gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Columbine flowers may not last long, but each one is like a work of art!

      Delete
  3. I loved the photos. The 'Chinese Fringe Tree' grows wild in some places here in the south, in the deep woods. The locals call it 'Grancy Gray Beard', a name I confess I prefer but it's good to know what it's called for real, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We happened on it at the nursery one day, having never heard of it. But we've been so pleased, especially the way those lacy flowers look while smelling like jasmine.

      Delete
  4. Stunning! I'd say we're about 3/4 weeks behind you in South Yorkshire, U.K so it's good to see all these beautiful flowers in bloom already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many times I see other garden blogs from the UK, and you often seem ahead of me! How unique your climate is all surrounded by ocean.

      Delete
    2. It has been an odd early summer, that's for sure. I have daffodils still in flower, along with tulips and roses! Don't you just love Mother Nature?

      Delete
  5. Robin! Everything looks amazing! Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, and thanks so much for visiting my blog!

      Delete
  6. It's been many years since I visited you last. So glad I found you. Everything and I mean everything is beautiful ! Your photo skills are perfect...just want to say wow. You have so many different colorful plants, arrangements and pots. Thanks for sharing. Patsi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Paris, so glad you found me again! And thanks for the compliments. You are too kind.

      Delete
  7. Your salad fresh from the garden looks scrumptious! May flowers are truly wonderful. Wildlife appreciates a beautiful garden, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fresh salads we've been eating have spoiled us for any every day salad at restaurants.

      Delete
  8. Hey there Robin girl .. I have meant to stop by and comment long before now ... things here have been a bit of a madhouse. I have a "baby" Fringe tree and can't wait till it grows up enough to have those amazing flowers and scent, I am really looking forward to that especially after seeing yours!
    The irises are gorgeous and all those columbines are beautiful ... I have Zephirine as well and waiting for it to stretch out and bloom some of those beauties.
    You are right about the sneaky weeds waiting until they are a foot tall and thumb their noses at us .. your veggies look wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May has come and gone, and June is also lovely! But I'm much too busy working in the garden to worry about editing photos or making new blog posts!

      Delete
  9. I love May. It was glorious in my garden, Robin, as it was in yours. Stunning pictures. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, and June is so lovely too! Only problem is, I'm so busy "playing" out in the garden that I can't get motivated to work on my photos or a blog post.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.