Monday, October 10, 2016

This is October?

Have you ever heard that quote that says "I'm glad I live in a world where there are Octobers"? Isn't it just so true? And while I love October, like just about everyone one else in the world, it hasn't felt much like October yet. It doesn't look much like it either.




There are still lots of blooms happening outside. As a matter of fact, some flowers are liking the cool weather enough to put out a fresh crop of blooms. The roses have some velvety blooms to share with me again. It's almost like they heard me talking about replacing them with hydrangeas.





If you think that you've seen these blooms here recently, you probably have. But really, they are worth repeating, wouldn't you say?





After all, they don't have too much longer to shine for me. I may as well give them a little more glory before it gets frosty around here. Frost, that's something of a bad word to me. I don't want to think about it yet.





This time of year is when I go into denial. I'm fairly certain that my garden will just continue to bloom for me for quite some time yet, right? *sigh* But the first frost really does arrive in October, so I guess I'd better face up to it.





There are bulbs to be planted, and containers to empty. The veggies need a big harvest before it's too late. Time to put away some of the garden art.



 But not yet. Let me linger a little longer in my October garden. It makes me smile.









14 comments:

  1. Gosh Robin, it's all so lovely. What is the flower or plant next to the bottle tree? Such a great photo!~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my sunset hyssop, but I believe it has other names too. I grew it from seed, and the package called it Sunset. It's as large as a small shrub, amazing to me when grown from a seed! One of my favorites, blooms and blooms and blooms, smells of licorice, and attracts pollinators. Just give it plenty of sunshine. And I know you have that there in OK.

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful fall in your part of the world, Robin. I also grow and love hyssop and its licorice scent. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that I always enjoy plantings that are highly fragrant like hyssop, and many others!

      Delete
  3. Your garden makes me smile, too! This is a gorgeous post. I love all the images with butterflies, especially the zinnia with the butterfly and the grasshopper. It is hard to think of frost. Our daytime temps are still well into the 80s, and last week we hit the 90s a couple of times. I can't imagine frost here before December, though it can certainly happen. We have had days when we plummeted over 40 degrees overnight. Right now I just want some rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why I'm such a butterfly nut, but they really do make me smile!

      Delete
  4. Wow, still stunning, Robin. This has been a strange fall and color is still a bit behind both here downstate and at the lake. But that is OK ... having enough of a hard time adjusting to the shorter days. Love the sedum and colorful glass sphere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe that it's nearly November, because they fall colors haven't even peaked yet!

      Delete
  5. Dahlias, sunflowers and zinnias really perked me up ! Your garden is so full of life, just gotta love it. Have to say October is a wonderful time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Robin girl !
    Your garden is looking fantastic ! OK ... what is your secret ? LOL
    It has been a very hard year here with drought and heat .. but we have had a bit of rain during the month and frost .. it was -2 this morning ... brrrr !
    I have been MIA with illnesses ... sick of being sick .. the poor garden has been neglected .. I hope to make up for it next year.
    Love the shots here with the butterflies .. so pretty !
    October will be gone in the next few days and I feel like I completely missed it .. BIG sigh!
    Oh well ... there is always next year .. right ? LOL
    Take care !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joy, you know the secret to a fantastic looking garden. You just crop everything ugly out of the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are stunning, Robin. I don't if I can choose a favorite. They make me want to go and plant something, but planting season is over, isn't it? The butterflies seem to enjoy the bounty of your garden, too, and for me that's what makes gardening a extra bonus. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butterflies are one of the primary reasons for my garden. I find them delightful!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.