Monday, August 27, 2018

Random Chatter for my August Garden

If it's August, we know to expect heat. We can also expect the garden to start fading as it goes past its peak. I wish I could figure out how to maintain the fresh green look of July. Instead I'm fighting every possible insect for mastery over the garden. But I'm able to hide it fairly well with the exuberance of my plantings.





I thought that I might skip showing you my endless butterfly photos this month, but then I laughed at myself. "Be serious Robin! You know that butterflies are your favorites." In case you haven't guessed, I've continued to raise monarchs inside the house. It's been a banner year for them, and you'd be able to tell by just how many monarch photos I have in my files. I'll ultimately release around 50 this year. For me, that is a considerable amount, especially considering just how small my milkweed patch is. I've actually raised a couple of swallowtails too, and even though they are beautiful, they just don't generate the same enthusiasm for me.







Do you like hydrangeas in the garden? Well, who doesn't? I often hear gardeners complain that their hydrangea doesn't bloom anymore. You might want to consider replacing that non-bloomer with one of the newer varieties. This Little Quickfire hydrangea was given to me by Proven Winners for a trial a few years ago, and it has more than surpassed my expectations. It blooms non-stop, starting out white, then fading to this softer pink color, then finishing off dark pink in the fall. It also makes an excellent cut flower. You can even dry them to preserve the beautiful blooms. In the top photo below, you'll see a green blob behind the Little Quickfire. That's my Endless Summer hydrangea, who puts out less than one quarter of the flowers. The bottom hydrangea photo is Little Lime. I do love it, but so far it isn't the showstopper of its neighbor. But it is a few years younger, so perhaps it will catch up.




Here are a few more of my plant recommendations to consider. Keep in mind that my garden is quite bright and sunny, so most of these selections do better in full sun. Below you will see the exuberant purslane/portulaca. This premium annual will bloom on and on all summer long with no added water. The flowers themselves are especially bright and stunning. Keep in mind that they fold up later in the day, only to reopen the next day. The fact that they close up in the evening has shown me that I shouldn't plant them singly like this, as my container is boring at the end of the day. Next time, I think I'll combine them with lantana to combat this problem.



As mentioned above, lantana is also great for full sun, with endless blooms that don't close up at night. Butterflies and hummingbirds love it! It's also a premium annual, but worth a few dollars for non-stop blooms.


Caladiums are for shade, and an annual in Ohio. They love the heat, so don't bother planting them until early June. They will then reward you with quick growth. This pot holds just a few bulbs, yet it's packed with color.


Do you grow Millennium alliums? You don't buy them in bulb form like traditional alliums, but as plants. Although they are shorter, they do rebloom throughout the summer. Pollinators love them.


I'd call mandevilla a premium, premium annual. They usually run around $20 to $30 for a big pot full. But this one is definitely worth it. No deadheading is needed, and it blooms endlessly. Not to mention, they are drop dead gorgeous!




I found a couple of strange flowers this year, and a friend tells me that it comes from a virus spread by insects. It has given the affected flowers a strange and odd beauty, and each bloom seems to last much longer than the more normal flowers of the same type.




 The dahlias are starting to bloom, which is a good thing late in the summer when other parts of the garden are giving up. There's just something stunning about a big, blowsy dahlia flower that makes me say wow.



After several years of trying to find an umbrella planter to suit me, I finally found this one at the Monticello Shop. I love it! But I didn't want to water it twice a day, so I filled it with succulents instead of flowers. This combination is nice, but it doesn't have that wow factor. I'll have to give some thought over the winter on how to make a more stunning combination for next summer. The planter itself is a winner though. I'm also pleased with my idea to put a few of favorite beach rocks around the base of it.



We grow vegetables every year, but we've never grown cantaloupe. Technically, we didn't grow cantaloupe this year either. But apparently the cantaloupe seeds in our compost survived the winter. The amazing part is that this didn't get weeded away, but its similarity to cucumbers assured its survival. I'm excited to taste it.


Resurrection lilies are one of those passalong plants that many of us have in our gardens. That's exactly how I got mine, as a matter of fact. They have the most unique coloring, both pink and blue at once. I wish the blooms lasted longer.



This exuberant area of my garden has always been called Butterfly Corner. Since I gave it this name,  almost my entire yard has become devoted to my beloved butterflies. But the moniker here remains. It's a chaotic mess for the most part. But it is generally full of flowers, despite the mess. I occasionally try to tame it, with little success.


The photos below are just garden eye candy to me.




I'll end as usual with a few Ohio sunsets. Thanks for stopping by Robin's Nest! I'm so glad to share my little garden corner with you.





8 comments:

  1. Hi Robin .. You commented on the small size of my Little Quick Fire .. it is little because it has been transplanted so many times and it will have to be one more time (just a few feet from where it is now) to get it in the "just right" position for the front garden .. it will fill in nicely once I leave it alone ! haha ... You have wonderful planters there .. I used to have purslane and it was great in a terracotta planter .. loves punishing conditions I find .. will have to go back to that now that I have been reminded how pretty it is ! Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so love my colorful purslane planters that need nothing from me except sunshine! But since the blooms close up late in the day, Ive decided that next time they need something else in the planter with them so that they aren’t so boring to look at.

      Delete
  2. I always love to see what's going on in Robin's gardens! I have three hydrangeas - don't know what variety because my mom gave them to me - but even after several years of being in the ground, they remain small and mostly flowerless. I think it's because they don't get enough sun. There isn't anywhere on our property where plants get enough full sun, so it is what it is. I think it's so cool how you raise monarchs. I haven't seen many butterflies around here this year, much to my surprise and dismay. My next-door neighbor even has milkweed growing in his ditch, so go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most hydrangeas don’t need much sunshine, so it’s likely an older variety that blooms on old wood. Those are the types that often suffer winter dieback, and refuse to bloom when winter kills off the next season’s blooms. You know I do love my monarchs!

      Delete
  3. Your garden doesn't look faded to me, Robin. It is as beautiful as ever. I love my hydrangeas, but have one that doesn't bloom. Thank you for the advice; I'll try Little Quick Fire. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh believe me, I’m good at hiding the fade by focusing my camera on the still pretty spots.

      Delete
  4. Hi Robin. Your gardens sure are looking beautiful and your gazing ball with Alliums along with the butterfly captures are absolutely breathtaking! I actually love all your photos and enjoyed the visit! You had asked about my Dwarf Butterfly Bush and Crape Myrtle. I enjoyed my Dwarf Butterfly Bush in the garden for so many years until the extreme cold this past winter killed it. I am trying two new ones in pots as an experiment so that I can bring them into the garage over winter to see how that works. The Crape Myrtle is cold hardy to zone 6/7 so zone 6 is really borderline for survival. My zone 7 Crape Myrtle is very established but did have a little die back last winter. I think zone 7 is the cut off point for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a supposedly hardy crepe myrtle one year, but it didn’t return for me. It was so pretty too, nearly black leaves with red flowers.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.