Tuesday, May 31, 2022

May in the Garden

 I have a particular fondness for the month of May, mostly because it's my birthday month. But the other thing that makes May special is that I can finally plant the garden. Once the frost free date passes by, I begin to go crazy planting flowers. Sure, many people plant flowers in May. But it's likely that they don't plant as many as this crazy flower fanatic! I firmly believe there's no such thing as too many flowers. 








But here we are at the end of May, and most everything is now planted. The only thing left to plant are the caladiums, which don't go in until early June. It's Memorial Day weekend, and we just spent the day putting down mulch. It's our traditional Memorial Day activity! Some people have BBQ's, we do mulch. 






At the beginning of May, there are still a few tulips in the garden. 





In order to get the full tulip immersion, I took a little trip up to Michigan for the Tulip Time Festival in Holland. I stay in my hometown, about a hour south of Holland, so I can see old friends and visit the beach. Generally, it's chilly for the tulip festival, but this year, it was HOT! It made my beach sunset time more pleasant, but it put a damper on the full enjoyment of admiring the tulips. Nobody expects it to be 87, in Holland Michigan, in early May. Whew!















There's also a botanical garden in the area that was a favorite of my grandmother, Fernwood Botanical Garden. It has many interesting garden areas, but the part I like best is the primrose ravine. They always bloom at the exact same time as the tulips. It's just one of those places that would be easy to miss, but once you find it, it's magical. This ravine is just filled with them, where ever you look. It's quiet there, with only birds singing and water trickling. It's just so peaceful and lovely. You really need to see it in person, photos don't do it justice. 



Back home to my own garden, it was time to get busy planting. It takes me several weekends to get it all in order. I don't mind, it's one of my favorite garden chores, to plant out my containers. You see, I plan them out in advance, choosing first a color theme, and then the plants. It's fun to see my vision come to life, even if they need a few weeks to fill in. 











After my tulips fade, the iris begin to show up. They're just such show offs! 




After the iris, the roses start to show off too. 







Luckily, many of my favorite flowers just show up year after year without much help from me.













Thanks for stopping by my nest in the merry month of May, which is so full of flowers that it just makes my heart sing. Ending as usual with a sunset, although I've been remiss at catching them off the front porch. I have to admit, by the time the sun sets, I'm usually lounging in my easy chair, worn out from gardening, with little desire to get back up to take more photos. But this time, I did. Hope to see you back here next month! 




 

6 comments:

  1. I so love visiting your garden. It's the sort of garden that we all aspire to grown. Weather either enables a beautiful lush garden or ruins it, which is the case for us this year with a very cold, windy, dry start to the growing season that postponed planting and hindered so many plants from blooming, like my tulips. Love the photos of the lake. I've been to Leland Michigan--way up north and fell in love with Michigan and that lake. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you enjoyed your “visit” to garden! Leland Michigan is one of the many charming small towns in that area, I’m crazy about all of them.

      Delete
  2. Your gardens and your flower arrangements are always fantastic. I'm afraid my flower arrangements aren't too artistically done...I simply buy what catches my eye and then I come home and plop the flowers in containers without much forethought, lol. Oh well, it works for me! ;-)

    And St Joseph...ahhh. You know how much I love that place, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do just plunk my favorites into a pot and hope for the best! I hope you’re planning to visit St. Joe again soon. Sure do love it there.

      Delete
  3. This was a weird time with such heat wasn't it Robin ? .. now we are in what would be normal heat/humidity ... but it seems we never have a traditional Spring any more which is sad.
    I loved seeing all of those tulip fields , reminds me of when we lived in the Netherlands.
    Your gardens are gorgeous and those containers are beautiful ... I absolutely love that ceramic butterfly ! Funny enough it is hard for me to imagine lakes with sandy beaches .. I am more used to the ocean beach side .. but wow ! this photos are stunning .. that one of your feet was perfect! .. haha ... I have really had to cut down on pots .. only a few, and mostly herbs or what might attract butterflys .. it has been a while since I have had cocoons .. fingers crossed !
    Those goldfish are so entertaining to have ... if only racoons wouldn't think they were fast food !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have something of a collection of Talavera pottery, and actually have two of those butterflies. Always on the hunt for more!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.