Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Dry July

The summer drought continues here in our corner of central Ohio. We've joked for years about how someone puts up a dome over our house every summer, but it's really no joke these days. The lawn is dormant and brown, and I can only imagine what my water bill will look like, with my constant watering. Yes, I do try to grow flowers that are drought tolerant. But container gardens, lawns, veggie gardens, and new plantings will always need the boost of frequent watering. If I knew for certain we lived in a dry climate, I would change the way I garden. But winters are generally wet, sometimes summer is too. However, the summers are trending dryer every year. Many of my perennials are paying the price, despite my care. But you won't see any photos of the weak spots. If you look closely at the included photos, you will see the struggling lawn. It's a sad sight, and you know how much suburban husbands dislike a bad lawn. Hubs is not at all happy about it. 








Despite the dry weather, butterflies visit often. July is usually when I start to see an increase in their numbers. However, my favorite butterfly, the monarch, is seldom seen. In total, I've seen about ten. I have raised and released 13 monarchs, but they came from only 2 actual butterfly visitors. But various other beauties do stop by, and I rarely pass up on opportunity to photograph them. 











I have a fondness for all of the critters that visit Robin's Nest. Even though some of them may nibble at my plants, I still welcome them. Goldfinches delight the eyes, but they tear the petals off of zinnias and sunflowers to get at the seeds. I wish they wouldn't do that! 





You may have seen some of these containers in my other posts, but the heat and sunshine have made quite a difference over the last month. These are definitely my success stories for the season. I do have a few failures, but again, I refuse to photograph them. Instead, I'm going to tweak them until I'm pleased again. But will the nurseries still have any interesting annuals for me? We shall see! 





However, plants grown in the ground can be a challenge in my organic garden. By late summer I often see an increase in disease and insect problems. My theory is that in my efforts to garden organically for butterflies,  I have then allowed other insects and diseases to proliferate. Makes sense, doesn't it? But it can be so frustrating. Featured here will be the highlights, when in peak bloom, with problems left out of the photos. Look away from that brown lawn, personally I like to pretend it isn't there. 











But even in a dry July, the veggies are at their peak production stage. We currently have carrots, beets, cucumbers, tomatoes, and zucchini all in steady rotation in the kitchen. Yum! This is the first time we've grown beets, we used a variety called Baby Beets. We'll definitely be growing these again. If you ever do grow this particular variety of beet, the package simply said to roast them whole, with olive oil, salt and pepper. No need to even bother removing the skin. Very tasty! As for the cucumbers and tomatoes, we're eating these multiple times a day. I almost forgot, we don't grow cantaloupe here on purpose. It often shows up from our compost, and it's always amusing where it pops up. This year, there's even one in the rose garden! But we have never managed to successfully harvest a cantaloupe. Maybe this is the year. 








I did do some exploring around town this month, starting with a visit to the corpse flower at Franklin Park Conservatory. I managed to visit at exactly the right moment, during its full bloom. While it was indeed stinky, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Plus it was far more beautiful than I thought it would be. Recently, while visiting Easton Town Center, I discovered this charming butterfly garden area, nearly hidden between buildings. It was well executed, with a mix of host plants and pollinator favorites. But I have to admit I haven't seen any butterflies there yet. One day, I stopped at Blacklick Woods on a whim, and found liatris in bloom everywhere I looked. I think I'm the only one who noticed! Lastly, I've gotten into the habit of stopping by Chestnut Ridge on my home from yoga on Tuesday nights, to watch the sunset. This park is such a favorite of mine, just peaceful and relaxing in all seasons. 

Franklin Park Conservatory

Easton Town Center

Easton Town Center

Blacklick Woods

Chestnut Ridge

Chestnut Ridge

Chestnut Ridge

I must admit that we actually did have a rain event earlier in the month. On July 3rd, we got 2 inches of rain, and I nearly danced with joy. But it made little impact honestly, there hasn't been any since. It was the only measurable rain we've had all summer. At home, I changed out my tray decor, sautéed up a melange of garden veggies, worked up a CREATE sign for my craft room, and baked some chocolate zucchini bread with a large zucchini that got away from me. 






And here we are at the end of the month already. July flew past, I'm just not quite sure how. It's funny how my days are full, they go by, but I can't always say exactly what I was up to. But when I check in with my photos, I can get a sense of my days. Maybe it's a zen way of living, taking it slow and easy, savoring the days as they come. And so it goes in Robin's Nest. Enjoy my sunsets, but maybe go out and find your own too. Apropos for a zen life, I think. 















2 comments:

  1. I always love seeing all the flowers around your house. Your veggies are so lush, too. So weird that you're having a drought - our summer has been very wet! Our grass is usually brown like yours in the late summer. (Doesn't bother me nor my hubby - we're not "lawn" people.) This is the first summer in a long time that our grass/weeds have been green. No water bill here - we have a private well. That comes with its own set of problems though. We'd rather have a water bill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is the typical suburban lawn fanatic, but he’s had to ease up on that since we moved to Ohio. Our yard is much larger here, and the summers are much drier.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.