Sunday, March 19, 2017

Winter or Spring?

Many jokes circulate about weather patterns that change so quickly as to make our heads spin, However, I read recently that here in Ohio we have a genuine cause for this phenomenon. It seems that we're often found at the bottom edge of northern weather patterns or at the top of southern weather patterns. That explains a lot! But this year, it has been even more variable. I think we've covered all four seasons within a week's time several times over.





But over all, this winter has been milder than usual, even if it does keep trying to come back to haunt us. When ever the weather warms for a few days, I have to run out to see what's in bloom. Invariably, those same blooms will quickly droop when the temps drop rapidly soon thereafter.





It's only mid March, so I suppose that the roller coaster weather patterns will continue for some time yet. That's okay. I don't expect much from March garden-wise. It could all get buried in snow again soon. Or we could get a warm spell, and every blooming tree will pop. You just never know in central Ohio in March. That's why I tend to pamper a few indoor blooms this time of year.



I did go ahead and purchase most of the seeds I'll need for the garden. Cool season veggie crops can go in soon, actually. And we grow lots of those, including carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, kohlrabi, and sugar snap peas. Of course I ordered my flower seeds too. I also picked up various summer tubers for planting when the weather gets truly warm. Meanwhile, these simple early spring bulbs will keep me happy.







Is it winter or is it spring? Who knows? I guess we'll all just have to hang on for the ride. All I know is it's slowing greening up, and that's progress. Don't be too dazzled by the flowers you see here. Most are small and barely noticeable to anyone but me. I suppose you can see the daffodils from the road. But only when they aren't being weighed down by snow.




Maybe someday the weather will make up its mind?



18 comments:

  1. Your winter has been milder, and our winter has been colder! That is why, it's so nice to see all your beautiful flowers! The iris is soooo lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed most of the season winters seemed to be reversed! Those little iris are a real favorite of mine, I love to plant them under Sedum Angelina.

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful taste of spring, Robin. No spring here -- my garden is under two feet of snow. P. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope that snow is gone by now! You deserve some spring too.

      Delete
  3. The iris reticulata coming up through the orangy sedum is quite spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, that sedum is Angelina, and it always turns that orange/yellow/red color this time of year before reverting back to green in summer. I discovered by accident how well these two go together, and have since repeated it many times.

      Delete
  4. It looks like spring to me - so lush and colorful! I love the color variations on the sedum. Everything is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sedum Angelina is a Robin's Nest special, a real favorite! And spring is its best time. It will bloom yellow later, then be a simple bright green all summer.

      Delete
  5. Your photos of all the spring blooms are delightful! This winter has been a roller coaster ride here on Long Island as well. You never know what the temperatures are going to do from one day until the next. The pattern runs from in the upper 60's one day to freezing temperatures the next. You are definitely ahead of us, so I will live virtually through your garden for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our winter has been a real roller coaster too, with plenty of ups and downs. But we barely had any snow, and it seems like you all got it instead.

      Delete
  6. Yes, this year has been variable! Love your beautiful photos, you caught the blooms at just the right time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variable part hasn't bothered me much, as long as there hasn't been much snow to go with it. That part I've enjoyed!

      Delete
  7. I love all your Spring blooms! Is that ground cover a type of sedum? Here in upstate NY we are still waiting on Spring...my daffodils were starting to come up then were buried under 2 feet of snow from winter storm/blizzard Stella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is sedum Angelina, a real Robin's Nest favorite. This is its spring coloration. Later it will bloom yellow flowers, then in summer it's bright green. Spring is the best though!

      Delete
  8. So lovely, dear Robin. We survived winter that really wasn't too bad. Happy Spring, dear friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mostly snow-free winter here, thank goodness! What little bits we got were quickly melted away.

      Delete
  9. Hi Robin, Here in SE Nebraska, we also get a lot of fluctuation in temperature this time of year. It's good to see you have color here and there. Soon, we will have lots more coming up and blooming. I love this time of year! (I hope you find some pasque flowers sometime.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it surely is showing around here now. There signs are everywhere!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.