Saturday, February 24, 2018

February is for Transitions

While it might not be the official end of winter, February can be very transitional here in central Ohio. On any given day, it might be winter or it might be spring, and it will definitely flip back and forth. This February was transitioned quickly from winter into spring. I'm sure it will get cold again, and I'm sure we'll see snow. Snow and cold is how the month started.






I even went for a winter walk, which isn't my usual practice. I hate being cold, even though I do think the snow can be very pretty. This time I was inspired to go see the winter beauty at my favorite park, Chestnut Ridge.





It's at this point that I usually begin to anticipate spring so strongly that I buy more kitchen flowers. Daffodils are abundant at stores this time of year, so I buy plenty. And tiny little pots of roses are fun to see on the windowsill.




But the weather quickly turned from these wintery views, and spring began to creep in. The first clue is always when the sedum Angelina starts to show it's bold colors. This is the main reason that I grow it, to offset the bland colors of winter. Soon, I spotted bulb foliage peeking through its colors.




Here it is the end of February, and my patience with a harsh winter has been rewarded with an early spring. I'm not foolish enough to think it will last, but I'm loving it while it lasts. Already I have hellebores, crocus, and iris. Soon there will be daffodils, hyacinths, muscari, squill, and tulips. I can hardly wait.






If you enjoy seeing my garden photos, feel free to follow me on Instagram. I also post home decor, crafts, and other adventures. Find me at https://www.instagram.com/msrobin58/ And thanks for following me, here and there.

11 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your beautiful post and the photos of the yellow crocus emerging from the garden is breathtaking. I am also in awe of your Hellebore buds, as well as Iris popping up among Sedum Angelina. It is really starting to look a lot like spring where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I’m in central Ohio, and even though these are all early spring flowers, we’re still having an early spring. I’m not falling for it completely, it will still get cold again, even snow.

      Delete

      Delete
  2. I think spring has arrived in your garden, Robin. Your photos are stunning as usual. I have to go outside and check my Angelina. P.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so pleased to know you are growing my favorite hardy succulent, Angelina!

      Delete
  3. Hi Robin, I am glad you stopped by my last blog post. I shivered when I saw the photo of the area with the pretty ice formation. I enjoyed seeing your signs of spring! It was warm enough for me to do some yard walking today, and I took some photos for Wildflower Wednesday. I have neglected blogging over the last few years due to an addiction to FaceBook. I have made a decision, and have stuck to it pretty well over the last few days, that I am not going to make myself stop altogether, but I am spending less time on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people ar blogging less, but I still like to keep it up, mostly as a garden journal of my own.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful snow pics! Since snow is so rare here, I always enjoy seeing them. But I know how delighted you are to see those spring blooms! Spring arrived all at once here. Everything is budding or blooming. It is great to see, but our last frost date is April 15; winter may yet leave a wicked zap on the way out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last frost date is a full month after yours, but soon we'll be planting our cool veggie crops. And even since I posted this, I have more spring blooms! It may be chilly, but spring is here in many ways.

      Delete
  5. Hello Robin girl !
    Your pictures are gorgeous ... I love the sky photos especially !
    But yes ... you have Spring popping in your garden like mad .. hellebore flower buds ! I have to clean up my hellebore bed soon now so I can take some pictures, you inspired me : )
    Lovely to see all the cheerful flowers .. I have to get some for my kitchen too.
    You also had inspired me a couple of years ago to plant Angelina .. and I am so glad I did .. it is a fascinating sedum .. thank you !
    Enjoy your garden girl : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just something about blue sky landscape photos, I'm with you on that!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.