Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Winter "Gardening"

I live in Ohio, so there really isn't any winter gardening to do. That's why I put quotes around the word gardening. But there are ways to cope so that we garden lovers don't lose heart during the long, cold winter. I suppose I might get outside to clean up debris if the weather breaks briefly. However, it doesn't happen very often, so it's best not to count on this strategy. It's best that I have a back up plan that allows me to enjoy hints of gardening till I can actually do so. I usually start with a trip to the floral department of my favorite store. As long as there are fresh flowers around the house, I don't have to miss the ones from my garden so much. Houseplants can also be a good substitute. Even fake flowers like these pom poms can do the trick! If they make me smile, that's all that required.





However, sometimes it just has to snow here in winter. My inclination is usually to hunker down inside and avoid the cold at all costs. But I'm trying to convince myself to enjoy the beauty of the snow instead. It isn't always easy, but I usually try. I have to admit, a fresh blanket of snow is a beautiful sight. You see here a few shots of some lovely snowy sights. However, I have to say that all these photos were taken within a few feet of my front door. My admiration of fresh snow does not extend to cold, wet feet! It seems that I still have some ways to go in my appreciation of winter.







One of my other favorite winter pastimes is to pick out the seeds that I'll use come spring. The catalogs begin to arrive in December, when I'm busy with holiday preparations. I set aside these glossy books full of flower "candy" to be enjoyed in the middle of a cold winter's day. Only then I do I lay them all out in front of me and begin to study the possibilities. After folding down the corners of  the pages that interest me, I begin to haunt the local seed displays. Once I purchase what I can in the stores, only then do I complete my catalog order. These treasured seed packets hold all the vegetables
 and flowers that my garden will hold for the season. What a concept!



But my favorite way to get through the winter season is one I've preached about many times here on my blog. When it seems that winter will never end, I visit Franklin Park Conservatory, where summer always holds sway. At this time of year, they have orchids on display. This year the display is called Orchid Utopia. There are so many different types of orchids that I don't bother trying to learn their names. I just wander around admiring them, stopping to take countless photos. In this way I can temporarily pretend that winter doesn't exist.






I'm sure that some gardeners actually enjoy winter, and more power to them if they do. Me, I need all the coping mechanisms that I can. And if I keep busy with all of these winter "gardening" activities before I know winter really will be gone. That's when the real gardening begins.







14 comments:

  1. You make winter really attractive for gardeners, Robin. I don't usually like hothouse flowers but yours are lovely. I have most of my seeds already so bring on the springtime. P.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go seed shopping but they didn’t have everything I need. I still have another place to check in person before placing any online orders.

      Delete
  2. I miss it all...working outside, planting flowers and veggies, seeing all the beautiful flowers, vegetables, herbs, and flowering trees and bushes. I guess that's why I enjoy my houseplants so much in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely miss it, can’t wait to work out in the garden this year!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the smile ! Now the snow ... well I've had enough of that. Beautiful sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I’m quite done with winter this year. I’m tired of being cold!

      Delete
  4. Hello Robin girl !
    Thank you for stopping by and your kind words !.. I meant to come here for ages but I am slow getting back to blogging as with everything it seems. I know I shouldn't say misery loves company but it helps to know I wasn't alone with a really bad year .. not that anyone should go through one, but if you do, not being the only one helps some how.
    I really hope I can get back on that horse and get my garden in order again ! LOL
    I hope you can too girl ... best luck to us both : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad to chat with you again Joy! Hope our 2018 gardens will bring us much joy.

      Delete
  5. Hi Robin. I so relate to your thoughts. Winter for me is a time for reflecting about the garden year past and dreaming of new plans for the upcoming season. Right around now, in February, I too crave a "green" fix and will visit a local nursery just to look at the plants. A good pastime is to catch up on blog posts, write new ones or read a good gardening book. I loved your photos of the garden covered in snow. That is one of the nice things about winter...the magic of a snow covered garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we have much the same coping strategies for winter!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous winter sunset images! As well as the beautiful yellow tulip in the red vase! Sounds like you have some good coping strategies to deal with your long winter. I can genuinely enjoy our short winters and flirtation with snow, but I pay for it when steamy summer rolls around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s often something beautiful about a winter sunset, especially near my home where it sets over the pond down the road. I often drop what I’m doing to go photograph these winter sunsets.

      Delete
  7. I admire your snow photos, how pretty. I bought two indoor orchid plants this month, one white and one purple, plus my outdoor cymbidium orchid is blooming on my patio today here in California. I grew up in Wisconsin and my husband is from Ohio so I know how strange that sounds to have an orchid blooming outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does sound strange to me to have flowers outside in winter. But it sounds wonderful!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.