Monday, June 25, 2018

I Love June!

Turns out that my garden blog has turned into a monthly recap format. Okay, works for me! I mostly keep my blog as a journal for myself anyway, while hoping that others may tune in to see what's going on here in Robin's Nest. Have I mentioned lately that I'm grateful for anyone who gives my blog a look-see? Well I am thankful that you're here. I particularly enjoy any comments left here for me. So feel free to chat at me, okay?







Let's talk about June in my garden, shall we? I suppose the main highlight of this month is the rain. Rain may be no big deal to you, but my little corner of the world generally turns dry each summer. But this June we've had generous rainfall, and like most gardeners, I'm pleased with it. Everything is green and lush, and actually a little jungle-like. I may come to regret it later on when all this growth needs to be brought under control. Right now, it just looks lovely, and I plan to enjoy it.





Another favorite part of my June garden has been the return of the butterflies. Butterfly gardening is the focus of Robin's Nest, and most of my plantings are meant to attract either butterflies or hummingbirds. So when the flutters start showing up in June, I get as excited as a child would. The first visitors are usually cabbage whites and red admirals. Although I have to admit that I am no longer enamored with cabbage whites, as they discovered the kohlrabi in my garden and proceeded to lay their hungry caterpillars all over it. Don't worry, they were all "dispatched".




But no other butterfly can match the monarch in my book. This year, I found monarch caterpillars on my milkweed before I ever spotted an actual monarch butterfly. I took them into the house to raise as I often do, and soon I had monarchs to release. The first actual monarch butterflies I spotted were my very own releases. I raised three of them, and they are now off to see the world. Just yesterday, I found 14 more eggs on that same milkweed! That's the most I've ever raised at once. It's actually the most I've ever raised all summer long. There are many other monarch maniacs who raise hundreds of these beauties each summer, but I run a very modest monarch operation here.





And then there are my ever beloved flowers. With the heat and rain that we've had, they are especially glorious this year. I did add some organic fertilizer to most of them, and that brings out even more blooms.









The roses didn't do well here over the winter, and I had to severely prune them back afterwards. But they've recovered well, and are even giving me some blooms. I didn't think I'd see much in the way of roses this year, but I'm glad that I was wrong. The bushes themselves are pretty small, so there aren't nearly as many flowers as usual. But I'm grateful for all of them, even if I have to battle the Japanese beetles for them right about now. Worst. Insect. Ever.




So yes, I love June in the garden. Who wouldn't? I'm not sure it gets much better than the month of June. It's summer, the weather is perfect, the flowers are blooming at their peak, and school is out. Aren't those some excellent reasons to love it?



Thanks for stopping by to see June in Robin's Nest!




5 comments:

  1. Hi Robin girl !
    Your photos are beautiful once again (I love the sky ones especially since I don't have a view to catch sunrise anymore myself .. so I appreciate that gorgeous red sky) .. your garden plants and planters are looking so pretty ! I have always loved that lamp post clematis (I have watched it over a few years now) .. June hasn't been as hot as it usually is for us thankfully, but not a lot of rain, barring today .. it was a full rain day which is wonderful. I finally have some instar caterpillars from the Black Swallowtail .. I am hoping they will survive the whole process on my dill plant, on the deck so I can keep an eye on them. Yes Monarchs are the queen of the butterflies to me too .. but I will take what I can get and treasure them. We are headed for the heat/humidity thing this weekend .. the garden will need to be trimmed back a bit to take some of the stress off too much foliage.
    Can you believe it is July in a couple of days .. roll on Fall ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. God has blessed you with a green thumb AND butterflies in your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you for hire? ;-) My neighbor has milkweed growing in his front lawn area (we have a combined/shared ditch in front of our houses) that he didn't plant - they just appeared a couple of years ago. I went over and examined them the other day and didn't see any caterpillars at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin! I love your garden decor as well as the plants and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your June garden is gorgeous! I am sure you enjoy its beauty as much as seeing how the birds and butterflies also benefit from your efforts. The 6th photo down, of the bird on the echinacea, is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.