Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Spring Glory

I'm thinking of spring as a southern belle this year, even in Ohio. She has put on her fanciest gown, covered with all manner of ruffles, ribbons, bows, and lace. And then she has proceeded to charm us all.





The easy weather this spring has helped to make it quite glorious out there. You know you are in love with spring when your own flowers make you swoon.





I say these things not to brag over my own garden, but in awe of the wonder of spring. The cliche of spring bursting forth could not be a more accurate description. I check daily to see what's in bloom, and every day I find some new treasure.





Over the years, I've discovered many happy accidents. Once I happened on some small candytuft plants. It's not anything I ever planned to buy, as it seemed a little dull for my taste. But they were marked down, so I bought three. Well, those three have turned into many! Since they bloom at the same time as my tulips, they make a wonderful backdrop. What I thought might be dull, turned out to be gorgeous. They bloom together with creeping phlox, and together they've made a spring quilt that makes my eyes bug out. And neither of these plants ever asks a thing from me except lots of sunshine.





And as for my tulips, they have my heart. Yes I know they aren't reliably perennial. I treat them as annuals anyway. But they are worth the trouble to me. I'm not sure what it is about tulips that make us all so crazy in love. I suppose it's the wide variety of colors they come in. I have many happy memories of tulips, so that's part of my love affair.








Not much else to say about the glory of spring other than it's just plain wonderful. I simply wanted to share some of it here with my readers. Go out and enjoy it folks, it just doesn't last long enough!



10 comments:

  1. Gosh, it's lovely there!! Oh Robin, such a beautiful spring. We are getting rain this year so I feel like things are more beautiful than in past springs. However, the color where you live is scrumptious.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is a time when the Midwest really shines!

      Delete
  2. Spring in the Midwest is absolutely glorious, isn't it? I want to hire you as my gardener though. If I pay your travel expenses and put you up for a week, will you come help me with my yard? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be fun? I'm not sure we'd get much work done, I think we'd just be busy chatting!

      Delete
  3. So beautiful! Your tulips are breathtaking. I love all the color, and I agree with everything you said about candytuft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just such a big fan of tulips that I wait with anticipation for them every spring. And I'm sad when they're done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Robin girl .. I so get your story of the candytuft, such a nice surprise when we think some plants aren't up to snuff.
    You are so far ahead of my garden .. we have been in rain mode for quite some time .. no warmth of the sun urging bulbs to get on with the show here.
    Yours are gorgeous ! I love your variety of tulips , so pretty ! and yes I treat them as an annual too but very much worth it .
    All your pictures are beautiful makes me hope we will see flowers here soon too !
    Every time I look at my Angelina sedum I think of how it was you that nudged me to get some and I am very happy to have done that : )
    Take care
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I like to preach the glory of Sedum Angelina, but I should always make it clear that it really only shines in absolute full sun. I hope that people understand that!

      Delete
  6. I love your spring garden and all that color. The tulips are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.