Sunday, November 3, 2013

Autumn Finally Arrives

Fall colors were late to arrive this year, so when they finally did show up, I took my usual road trip to Chestnut Ridge. It's such a pretty spot to enjoy fall. Besides, my new camera needed a test drive.

There are many country roads between my house and the park, but my favorite is a little known street hugging the side of the ridge. There are a few homes along the way, but I don't think I've ever seen another car drive that way. I just love the view of the little towns down below, including my own.
But my favorite view is at the top of the hill, when downtown Columbus appears on the horizon. At this point, it is probably 20 miles away, but being on top of the hill allows it to stand out. And the empty road gives me a minute to stop my car, stick my camera out the window and snap!
Arriving at the park, I went right for the pond. Even though it was a pleasant fall day, I mostly had the park to myself in the middle of a weekday. Lucky me.


 So much to see! It took a lot of tweaking to figure out what to do with the new camera, so I just kept snapping away. I never did quite get it worked out, but I made a start.


Another great spot is this old stone bridge with the split rail fence nearby. Hmmm, what setting will allow my picture to capture what I see? I don't know, but it sure is pretty.


 I wanted to try out a few macro shots here and there, but Miss Ladybug did not want to hold still for a pose. So I spotted this nice, still leaf on the bridge. When a puzzled hiker inquired what I was taking a picture of, she didn't seem impressed when I said it was a leaf. Oh well. It's not the first time I have drawn stares while I was taking pictures.


As I was exploring, I saw the oddest tree on the path up ahead. It was a tree with double trunks, and I saw that somehow it had grown suckers or something between the two. As I got closer, I made a startling discovery. It's a man made project! I have no idea if it's an art project, or a park tradition, but I made sure to add a few twigs of my own.
I also know just where to find all the prettiest sweetgum trees. They fascinate me. How can one tree produce that many different color leaves? It doesn't matter, I'll just enjoy them.


 I had so much fun watching the fall colors peak that I intend to go back again tomorrow if the weather cooperates. You know, just because I need work with my camera. Not because it's a gorgeous fall or anything like that...


11 comments:

  1. You are doing very well with your new camera. Your photos are breathtaking! I especially love the shot with the city on the horizon. The fall colors in your area are spectacular. I also appreciate the cooperation of a leaf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several spots around town where we can see the city skyline, and it just fascinates me. My new camera is almost the same as the one I had, so the learning curve won't be quite so steep. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures, Robin! The area you were in reminds me a lot of the nearby State Park that I go hiking in. What kind of camera did you get? Tim passed down his Canon (sorry, can't remember the exact kind/model) DSLR to me (he has a nicer one now) but I have to get a lens for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new camera is a Canon Powershot. I just don't have the patience for a DSLR, I want to point and shoot. Still, my camera is a high end point and shoot, so there are still lots of buttons, dials, and settings to worry about. But because it's basically the same one I had, it's pretty easy. I haven't even read the book yet, shame on me!

      Delete
  3. Postcard pretty autumn images Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joey, it was a postcard pretty kind of day!

      Delete
  4. Oh such beautiful pictures. You live in a gorgeous place. The camera does a good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. People assume that Ohio and the rest of the heartland is bland, but I would beg to differ. In the fall especially, it absolutely glows!

      Delete
  5. Your photos are gorgeous. The color is spectacular. You live in a really beautiful place. The camera does a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am soooo jealous...lol. My pictures never turn out that awesome... great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.