September always starts out as summer, but ends as fall. The difference is so distinct, one day it's clearly summer, then suddenly you see a few leaves turning and you need a sweater. I always look forward to the cool, clear, blue sky days of September. Part of my enjoyment is the anticipation of the fall colors arriving soon. But a big part is simply the arrival of cooler weather!
Early in the month, it was clearly summer. Monarchs were still frequent visitors, and even though I didn't see any swallowtails, they were clearly here, as I found 7 caterpillars on my carrots. After they wandered off to pupate somewhere, we harvested those same carrots. Many of my summer flowers were still thriving, and we've been seeing hummingbirds all along, even though we no longer see the monarchs.
The pleasant weather has been perfect for exploring my favorite spots, so we made our way to see Fair Lane Estate, the summer home of Henry Ford. I haven't seen the inside yet, I'm primarily interested in the property and its beauty. I missed the highlight days of the rose garden, but there were still plenty in bloom in September. I also like to walk along the Rouge River behind the house, and look forward to seeing it with fall colors.
My everyday park is Lower Huron Metropark, a long, narrow park that follows the Huron River. Not much fall color to be seen yet, but there were plenty of wildflowers to see. Plus I never get tired of admiring the trail bridge over the river.
Matthaei Botanical Garden has much to explore, but for me, there's a wild side and a manicured side. The prettiest part is the Gateway Garden, full of flowers and pollinators. I fills me with awe every time. Because Matthaei is managed by the University of Michigan, it is science based, with students frequently seen managing the property. Needless to say, we immediately signed up to be sponsors when we moved nearby.
But I do occasionally follow home pursuits. I especially enjoy crafts, baking, reading, cooking, and decorating. I frequently swap out the front porch decorations, and my wooden tray in the kitchen. You'll often find me swapping out the couch pillows, filling my vases, or changing other decorative objects. It just tickles me to continually fluff my Nest, and always has, even as a child. I did finish a pink afghan, started a striped Christmas blanket, and refinished my old penny ball. I wish I could remember exactly when I first made it, but I'd say it's at least 25 years old. I did realize recently that the pennies will get harder to find in the future, so I've been tucking them away every time I run across any. I usually have to refresh the pennies about every third year.
Now that September is winding down, the outdoor part of the Nest is looking fallish. It's like a mini preview of the real thing, arriving soon. I'm practically giddy about that!
The sunsets have swung around to the back now, making them much more noticeable. That's probably why I have so many to share with you this month. They've been especially lovely lately, which surprises me. I don't usually associate September with good sunset weather, but I've been wrong all month.
Thanks for stopping by the Nest for a few September sights. Next month's update will mostly be focused outside of the Nest, as I gawk at the fall color show all around me. Can't wait!











































































No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks so much for commenting, I always love to hear from my readers! I'll respond by commenting back on your own blog.